Cricket Communications, the prepaid arm of regional operator Leap Wireless, will start selling service nationwide tomorrow, Sept 25th through 1300 BestBuy stores.
Cricket's own network covers about 35 metropolitan areas including Chicago, San Diego, Seattle, Philadelphia, Washington DC and Baltimore. In order to operate nationwide, Cricket has entered into an agreement with Sprint that allows it to resell Sprint service in areas where it doesn't have its own network.
Cricket, along with MetroPCS, pioneered low cost prepaid unlimited plans. In its native markets Cricket offers only unlimited plans which range in price from $35/month for unlimited talk and text but no data on a feature phone to $55/month for unlimited talk, text and web on Android smartphones. For an extra $10/month Cricket's offers its exclusive "muve music" sevice which provides unlimited downloads of full track song downloads plus unlimited ringtones, streaming video and ringback tones.
The new service through BestBuy is a little different. There are three plans and none of them include unlimited calling. The plans are
- $25/month - feature phone only plan with unlimited text, picture and video messaging, 300 voice minutes and unlimited mobile web
- $35/month - feature phone only plan with unlimited text and picture messaging, 1000 voice minutes and unlimited mobile web
- $55/month - Android plan that includes unlimited muve music song downloads, ringtones and callback tones, unlimited text, picture and video messaging, 1000 voice minutes and 500GB of data.
- Samsung Chrono $39.99, a basic flip feature phone with 128x160 px screen and VGA (0.3 MP) camera
- Huawei Plllar $69.00, a QWERTY candybar with music player, 240x320 px screen and VGA (0.3 MP) camera
- ZTE Score $129.99, an Android muve music phone with Android 2.3, 3.2 MP camera, 3.5" 320x480 screen and a 600 mHz processor
- Samsung Vitality $199.99, an Android muve music phone with Android 2.3, 3.2 MP camera, 3.5" 320x480 screen and a 800 mHz processor
Source: Leap Wireless