AT&T announced today that starting Sept. 18th they will be offering a new option to GoPhone customers; unlimited messaging and 250 minutes for $25/month. AT&T currently charges $19.99/month for unlimited texting alone making this a pretty good deal for anyone who talks a little but texts a lot.
On the other hand, there are a lot of competing prepaid deals at the $25-$30 monthly price point that include more voice minutes some data and lots of (but not unlimited texts). Here's a table comparing them:
|Operator||Plan or Package||Network||Technology||Monthly Cost||Voice min.||SMS||Data|
|AT&T||$25 Monthly Plan||AT&T||GSM||25.00||250||unlimited|| |
5 MB - $5,
200 MB $15,
500 MB $25
|NET10||750 Minute Monthly Plan||AT&T or Verizon||CDMA or GSM||25.00||750||750||750 minutes of browsing|
|Virgin Mobile||payLo||Sprint||CDMA||30.00||1500||1500||30 MB overage $1.50/MB|
|Straight Talk||All You Need||Verizon or AT&T||CDMA or GSM||30.00||1000||1000||30 MB no overage|
|T-Mobile||Monthly 4G||T-Mobile||GSM||30.00||1500 (combined minutes and messages)||1500 (combined minutes and messages)||30 MB, Overage $1.50/day|
|Page Plus||Talk n' Text 1200||Verizon||CDMA||29.95||1200||3000||100 MB, Overage $0.10/MB|
AT&T also made a couple of other GoPhone announcements today:
- A $10month GoPhone international long distance add on will also be available starring Sept 18th. It provides 250 minutes of calls to over 50 countries. Details will be available at att.com/gophoneintLD starting tomorrow.
- Effective immediately GoPhone customers can now roam in Canada Voice The rates are:
- Voice: $.39 per minute (no surcharges)
- Text: $.25 per message sent, $.20 per message received
- Data: $0.0195 per KB
- Picture Messaging: $1.30 per message sent/$0.25 per message received.