It's now possible to use any clean ESN Sprint phone on Sprint MVNO PlatinumTel thanks to a new service launched by PlatinumTel master dealer ACRS Wireless.
There are ways to get Sprint phones on Virgin Mobile or Boost Mobile by altering the phone's electronic serial number, but the process is legally questionable, technically complicated and violates the carriers' terms of service.
This new service is aboveboard and legitimate. No modifications to the phone are required. ACRS adds the phone's electronic serial number (MEID or ESN) to PlatinumTel's database so that the phone will activate automatically over the air, just like a phone purchased from PlatinumTel would.
ACRS can activate any Sprint branded phone provided it hasn't been blacklisted by Sprint for non-payment or because it was reported as lost or stolen. That includes Sprint
I activated a Sprint Motorola Photon Android phone on PlatinumTel using the ACRS service a week ago and everything is working flawlessly, with no manual programming needed, including voice, data, text and
- Open the dialer and type ##3282# (##DATA#). The Data Settings screen will appear.
- Scroll down to and tap MMS
- Tap the Menu key, then tap Edit and enter your 6-digit MSL code (ACRS will give you this)
- Tap MMSC URL and change it to http://mms.plspictures.com
- Tap Done
That there are a few things to be aware of before you use this service.
- Activating a Sprint phone on PlatinumTel removes it from the Sprint ESN database and adds it to the PlatinumTel one. That means that the phone can no longer be activated on Sprint. There is no way to reverse the process and go back to Sprint at this time.
- Activation takes two to three weeks to complete.
- The phone must not be currently active on Sprint and must have a clean (not blacklisted) ESN.
- Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile, Verizon, etc. phones can not be activated, Sprint branded phones only.
- 4G (WiMAX) data is not available. 3G (EVDO) and 2G (1xRTT) data is
- There is no roaming, coverage is the same as with Boost or Virgin Mobile.
The service is live at ACRS Wireless' site at ptel.ws/22-acrs-wireless-byod. Pricing is as follows:
For new customers:
Activation on PayGo is $40.00 which includes a 200 minute ($10) PayGo credit (only new customers get the $10 credit)
Activation on PlatinumTel Unlimited is $85.00 which includes $45 for the first month of service.Activation is $40.00 on any plan and does not include any free minutes.
For existing PlatinumTel customers:
For existing PlatinumTel customers:
There are no refunds if an activation fails because the phone has a bad ESN. You can check if a Sprint ESN is clean at checkesnfree.com.
While the activation cost is a little high, I think it's worth it when you take into account the money you can save with PlatinumTel's great pricing. Rates are especially on PayGo; 5¢/minute for voice, 2¢/text message (including international) and 10¢/MB for data. That's less than any other US prepaid operator or MVNO. Unlimited pricing is also on good although the data allowance on the $60 plan is on the low side.
Here's a table comparing all of PlatinumTel's plans.
|TnT 500||$20/30 days||500||500||10¢/each||20 MB|
|TnT 1000||$30/30 days||1000||1000||10¢/each||30 MB|
|Unlimited||$45/30 days||unlimited||unlimited||5¢/each||150 MB|
|Android 250 MB||$50/30 days||unlimited||unlimited||5¢/each||250 MB|
|Android 1 GB||$60/30 days||unlimited||unlimited||unlimited||1 GB|
PlatinumTel's International rates are also low, with calls to over 40 countries including Canada, Mexico, India, China, the UK and most European countries only one cent/minute more than domestic calls.