AT&T announced Monthly Unlimited with Data, a new $65/month GoPhone prepaid plan for smartphone users. The plan includes unlimited voice and domestic text and picture messaging and 1 GB of data.
The new plan means a $10/month price reduction for current customers who pay $50/month for unlimited voice and messaging plus $25/month for 1 GB of rollover data. Like all AT&T prepaid monthly plans it includes unlimited text messaging to Canada, Mexico and over 100 other countries as well as unlimited access to more than 30,000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots in the US and more than 220,000 hotspots globally through roaming agreements.
The new AT&T plan is significantly more expensive than similar unlimited plans from AT&T's own MVNOs like Straight Talk $45/month) or Red Pocket ($55/month). AT&T does offer some extra value including no extra cost international texting, Wi-Fi access, generally better customer support and the ability to purchase phones and get help at over 2300 AT&T retail locations. But for must users the MVNOs are still a better deal.
AT&T also announced a new Android prepaid phone today, the AT&T Fusion 2 (image). It's made by Huawei and has the following specifications:
- Battery: Capacity 1400 mAh, Talk time Up to 5 hours, Standby time Up to 14 days
- Dimensions: 4.56 x 2.40 x 0.46 inches (116 x 61 x 12 mm)
- Weight: 4.38 ounces (124g)
- Processor: Qualcomm® MSM7225A-1-AA, 800MHz dual core processor
- Internal memory: 512MB RAM, 2GB Flash 4GB storage
- Expandable memory: micro SD up to 32GB
- Network: 3G UMTS 850/1900/2100 MHz, GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi®, BLUETOOTH® 2.1
- Operating System: Android 2.3
- Display: 3.5 inches, 320x480px
The inclusion of a dual core processor is a first at this price point and the 4 GB of internal memory storage memory is a plus providing, that at least a gigabyte is available to the user for app installation.