Home - , , , , - Updated: Straight Talk, NET10 and Telcel America Bring Your Own Verizon Phone Option Canceled

Less than a week ago America Movil's Straight Talk Wireless launched a CDMA Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) program that let users activate most Verizon phones on Straight Talk's $45/month unlimited, voice messaging and data plan. As of today that option is no longer available!

CDMA activations were handled by a dedicated web site at straighttalkbyop.com (image above, right). That URL now redirects to straighttalksim.com, which only sells T-Mobile based Straight Talk SIM cards with no option to activate a CDMA phone.

The BYOP programs of  the other two America Movil brands that offered CDMA BYOP, NET10 and Telcel America, are also offline and redirecting to their respective SIM sites.

Straight Talk hasn't issued any explanation for the sudden disappearance of CDMA program. Their social media representatives on Twitter and Facebook are ignoring questions about it,  although they are online and responding to other queries.

The BYOP disappearance could be a technical glitch but it seems more likely that the program has been deliberately halted, either temporarily or permanently. This all seems so similar to the sudden end of Straight Talk's AT&T SIM program in January.  Hopefully the BYOP sites just were taken down temporarily to work out some bugs in the program.  This post will be updated when I find out more.

Update 4/16, 9 AM PDT: Thanks to a couple of readers comments we now know that Straight Talk is blaming that the unavailability of BYOD CDMA on a temporary website issue. Here's a private message HowardForums member Deathcab recieved from Straight talk social media support rep Sara;

Hi Deathcab,

I noticed your post in this forum, and I will be addressing your query.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Our website has issues as of the moment, and we are still working to get this issue situated. Please allow us 24 hours to get it fixed. Feel free to send us an email at ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com if you have further questions. Thanks!

Sara
Straight Talk Wireless
Update 4/16, 5:30 PM PDT: BYOD CDMA appears to be dead; Straight Talk and NET10 representatives on Facebook and HowardForums are saying "we no longer offer a BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) CDMA program". Telephone support for both brands is telling callers the same thing. Here's an updated private message from Straight Talk that Deathcab posted HowardForums:

Hi Deathcab,

We apologize for the inconvenience. We just received an update that the Verizon CDMA phones are no longer compatible with our Bring Your Own Phone program. We will keep you up to date regarding this issue.

Feel free to send us an email at ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com if you have further questions. Thank you!
I doubt we will ever hear the true story of why the four day old program was so suddenly cancelled. Here are a couple of theories:

Theory 1 - Someone in high level management at Verizon decided that letting customers switch their iPhones to Straight Talk at half the monthly cost was not in the company's best interest. However that seems unlikely as Verizon surely had to approve BYOP for it launch in the first place.

Theory 2 - Show stopper issues in the BYOP activation and provisioning process. Perhaps so many activations were failing that resolving them was taking up an inordinate amount of time. America Movil may have halted the program to try and rework the process to make it more robust and maintainable. If and when the problems are fixed CDMA BYOP will return

I think Theory 2 is the likeliest.

30 comments:

Comment Page :
  1. Sticking to pagepluscellular.com for now. ST seems too high maintenance, ie risky.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would consider Straight Talk unstable! I've been with Page Plus for a while and I'm not going anywhere. I like supporting American jobs and paying only slightly more.

2. I was working with Net10 last night to get a phone on the cdma BYOP. They said they were having problems with their web site and it would be 24 hours before a purchase was possible. They are supposed to call me back today at 2 pm

ReplyDelete
  3. Check back to my original post on HoFo where this info came from to see the first official ST reply that I believe anyone has gotten directly on this issue:

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting Sara ST's reply. I hope the issue is temporary. Not like the AT&T SIMs that Straight Talk reps were claiming to be temporarily out of stock for several weeks after they disappeared.

2. Check my post again -- updated with confirmation from Net10 that they've discontinued the program. Another poster also says that ST told them the same. Waiting on an official reply from SaraST but looks like this one is gone for good.

4. Seems unlikely, at&t Sim program was offered for a year, the Verizon program hasn't even been fully launched.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like I'll be activating my Verizon iPhone 4 on Page Plus..

2. Activating your iPhone 4 on Page Plus is not guaranteed. Good luck!

5. Just chill on it all. It's probably getting the bugs ironed out. ST/America Movil has zero experience with cdma byod so potential problems and delays are no surprise.

ReplyDelete
  6. I just called Net10 about this as they were in the process of trying to help me get my Verizon phone on their CDMA program. I was told that the program is not available for the time being and they do not have any information as to when it will be available again. I'll wait this out as I am not paying PagePlus $55 a month for 2GB.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does not sound to promising. THis was posted on NET10 facebook page 10 minutes ago:

Net Maria: Hi Ashleigh. We no longer offer BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) CDMA program. Thanks.

9 minutes ago · Like..

2. Here is a response from my facebook question:

Jeff: Net Maria, I was told by customer service that the CDMA program was delayed due to web site problems. Are you saying it is not coming back?

34 minutes ago · Like..

Net Maria: Hi Jeff. We are sorry for the misleading information. As for now, we no longer offer BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) CDMA program due to website problems. Thanks

3. LOL! Here is another twist just posted on straight talk facebook page:

Brandon McCluskey I called in this morning about using my Verizon Iphone I was told that it could be done. I call this afternoon and was told that the program was no longer good after I spent money on getting an iphone

3 hours ago · Like..

Ryan Moore I would also like to be contacted about the same thing. Very frustrated we are told to buy phones. I need a ST rep to contact me with how to purchase the CDMA network access code that was available on your website yesterday when your CSR was instructing customers to buy phones to work with it.

3 hours ago · Like..

Brandon McCluskey It won't do no good. All I keep getting is apologizes

3 hours ago · Like..

Brandon McCluskey I find it funny this morning it was still there but yet I go to activate the phone and they cant do it

3 hours ago · Like..

Cherry ST Hi Brandon. I've sent you a message. Please check your Facebook inbox for a message. Thanks.

3 hours ago · Like..

Brandon McCluskey ST said there would be a update coming out in a couple weeks curious to see what is says

7. You mean you won't pay the price of one less pizza a month to have MUCH better service than Straight Talk?

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! We learned in a salesmanship class in college to break down costs by the day in order to make people think it was affordable that way. Truth is Page Plus cost $120 more a year! And with straight talk/Net10 you get 2 1/2 months free every year!!

2. Actually Page Plus is cheaper on their $30 a month plan.

Remember, you compare, it has to be on an apples to apples comparison.

3. Oops.
      The $30 plan with 2gb for a valid comparison costs $117.50/month.

4. The PP 29.95 plan has 250 mb of data, genius. What are you talking about?

5. Thanks for the compliment, but it certainly does not take a genius to do this math.
      If you want to "compare apples to apples," you have to read the fine print on the Pageplus $30 plan. "Comes with" does not mean "is limited to." There is an overage rate when you exceed 250mb. Get out your calculator and multiply 1750 x the rate. Add the result to $30 (you can keep the extra nickel).

6. My apologies. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were the previous poster who was comparing PP $30 plan to ST $45 plan. Enough said, my bad

8. Dennis,
    Still very much confused as to which phones will work on what carrier. I have looked at the phones on the Walmart website on their Straight Talk program but can't find any mention of what carrier the phone will work with. Very confusing. Is there a way to find out? Looking for phones that work with Verizon.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walmart phones are Sprint phones.

2. No, WalMart sells Straight Talk phones that run on each of the four major operators, including Verizon. See this post to learn how to tell the difference.

3. The Walmart stores in my area actually label their phones with the network each model runs on

9. Some guy named Cameron Myers evidently owns a Net10 secondary phone sales business. He says that we will be hearing news of the CDMA program back up and running in the next day or 2. Just a rumor on the Net10 facebook page at this point.

ReplyDelete
  10. Deahtcab, on Howards forum has stated his source has given a time frame of late April or early May for a return of BYOP CDMA. I believe Yeswap considers him to be a credible source.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More confirmation:

11. Jeff, have you lost your patience yet?!

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad that along with the great cost comes poor communication. Oh well, I'm used to it by now: )

Comment Page :