Sprint no-contract postpaid MVNO Ting made some pricing changes today that should lower most users monthly costs.
Ting uses a tiered pricing model with separate tiers of voice minutes, texts and megabytes of data. If you use up all the minutes, messages or data in one of your tiers, Ting will automatically upgrade you to the next tier for the current month only. The image above from the Ting Blog highlights today's changes consist of:
- Lowering the price for all data tiers except the cheapest
- Adding more minutes and texts to the "XL" tiers with no increase in price
- Eliminating the most expensive "XXL" tier for minutes, texts and data
- Lowering the voice, text and data prices for usage beyond the highest tiers
This is certainly a welcome change, especially for anyone using a gigabyte or more per month. For example someone with 2 phones who used 3000 minutes, 4000 messages and 2GB would pay:
- $117/month under the old pricing model ($6 service fee for line 1 + $6 service fee for line 2 + $52 XXL voice tier + $11 XL messaging tier + $42 XL data tier)
- $104/.10/month under the new pricing model ($6 service fee for line 1 + $6 service fee for line 2 + $35 XL voice tier + $17.10 for 900 minutes at 1.9¢ each + $11 XL messaging tier + $29 XL data tier)
Heavy data users will see the biggest savings. Someone who used 5 GB and no voice minutes or texts would see their bill drop from $113.70 ($6 + $60 + 47.70 for 2120MB at 2.25¢/MB) to $81.80 ($6 + $29 + $46.80 for 3120MB * 1.5¢/MB)
Even the new pricing seems on the high side but it can be a good choice for families and individuals with modest usage needs. The sweet spot seems to be about 75-1000 minutes, 75-1000 messages and under 500 MB of data which for a single user costs between $15 and $41, before taxes and fees which run between $1 and $10/month. Ting also offers some substantial perks including excellent customer support and no extra cost voice and text roaming.
Prepaid Operator Profile: Ting
Updated: Sprint and Sprint MVNO Prepaid Plans Compared