Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile
launched a new mid range Android phone today. Called the LG Volt and priced at $179.99, it runs Android 4.4 KitKat and has a number of high end features including a 4.7" inch screen, quad core processor, 8MP camera and Sprint Spark tri-mode LTE.
Although the Volt has generally high-end specs, LG did cut a few corners to achieve a $179.99 price point. Most notably the screen resolution is qHD (540x860px) which is low for a 4.7 inch screen where HD (720x1280px) or better is the norm.
The inclusion of tri-mode LTE actually makes the Volt the first Sprint Spark prepaid phone rather than the Samsung Galaxy S5 which doesn't launch until May 19.
Virgin Mobile is running a launch promotion on the Volt for new customers. Customers who buy the Volt by 7 AM 5/16/14 EST and activate on a new Virgin Mobile line of service by 11:59 PM 6/6/14 PST will receive a $35 account credit within 30 days of activation.
The Volt is also eligible for a $100 Boost Mobile account credit for new users who port a number from a non-Sprint network operator.Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile
Virgin Mobile plans start at $35/month and Boost plans range from $40 to $60 per month. For details see Prepaid Operator Profile: Virgin Mobile and Prepaid Operator Profile: Boost Mobile
LG Volt Specifications
- Android 4.4 KitKat
- 1.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon CPU
- 4.7" qHD IPS Gorilla Glass 2 screen
- 8 MP main camera with auto-focus, LED flash and 1080p video capture
- 1.3 MP front-facing camera
- 4GB internal storage (3GB available to the user for apps)
- microSD card slot
- 1GB RAM, 8GB ROM
- Bluetooth 4.0
- 3,000mAh removable battery for up to 24 hours talk time
- tri-band (850, 1900, 2500) LTE (Sprint Spark)
- tr-band CDMA/EVDO (800, 850, 1900)
- HD-Voice for improved call quality when calling other HD-Voice equipped phones
- Dimensions 5.18 x 2.6 x 0.41 inches (132 x 66 x 10.4 mm)
- Weight 4.8 oz (136g)
- IR port and Quick remote app for controlling TVs and music systems
- KnockOn and KnockOff - tap the screen twice to wake it up or to lock it
- QSlide 2.0 which lets you dispaly two apps QSlide enabled apps simultaneously in their own windows on screen. QSlide apps include Videos, Memo, Calendar, Browser and Calculator.