The official announcement reads as follows.
"It's official! We're very excited to announce that the much-anticipated 4G LTE network is coming to Page Plus Cellular in October!
We just wanted to officially let you know this exciting news that has been rumored for quite some time.
We don't have all the specific details just yet to share with you, but as new information becomes available we'll let you know via additional emails and training materials.
Please don't call the dealer relations team with questions about 4G LTE, as the internal training materials are still being developed, and our CSRs will not have the answers to your questions.
Stay tuned to your email and the dealer portal for more details as they become available.
We can share this with you now:
- With the exception of The 12 plan, all other monthly plans will be available for 4G devices, at 4G LTE data speeds, with no increase in the monthly plan prices. 3G service will also still be available for all plans. Upon device activation, our system will detect the device type and assign it to 3G or 4G service accordingly.
- 4G LTE SIM cards will be Page Plus specific. They will be available through your Master Agent in October.
Update 1 PM PT 9/9/14: There's a very active thread about this announcement on the Kitty Wireless Forum. According to Kitty:
- No plan price increases are expected
- The "Standard" Pay As You Go and $12 plans not only won't be getting LTE access but LTE capable devices won't be allowed on those plans, at least initially.
- It will still be possible to flash Verizon LTE phones and use them on the $12 and pay as you go plans.
- For LTE phones on an LTE plan, it will be possible to switch phones by moving the SIM card from one phone to the other, ESN changes will not be necessary
Although there's been no official announcement, it's been widely rumored that when LTE goes live on PagePlus, it will no longer be possible to activate non-Verizon (Sprint, U.S. Cellular, etc.) MEIDS or ESNs on PagePlus.
I doubt that there will be any change to the Verizon policy of blocking phones sold for use on Verizon Prepaid from being activated on Verizon MVNOs. Verizon is subsidizing the prices of Verizon Prepaid phones and I can't see them subsidizing phones to be used on MVNOs.
Update 8:15 PM PT 9/9/14: The original Kitty Forums thread about today's LTE on PagePlus news has closed to bew posts and replaced by a subforum with multiple threads. Kitty Wireless is now taking pre-orders for LTE SIMs. Click here to order a SIM. The price is $5.99 with free shipping. There's a 5 SIM per customer limit and the SIMs are expected to ship between Sept. 26 and Sept. 30. Only mini(standard) and nano sizes are currently available.