Page Plus Cellular seems to have worked most of the kinks out of their LTE rollout. Dealers can now do LTE activations, port-ins and 3G to LTE updates on-line using the PagePlus dealer portal. This should make life easier for the dealers and hopefully lead to faster, smoother and cheaper activations for customers.
The bug that left many early LTE adopters unable to send SMS text messages appears to have been fixed. At least I haven't seen any reports of texting trouble with SIMs activated since Monday. If you are still unable to text with a Page Plus LTE SIM, I recommend contacting PagePlus (chat seems to work best) or the dealer who activated your SIM.
As we reported earlier, Page Plus LTE speeds appear to be throttled to 3.5 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. The throttling has been confirmed by numerous users and at least one Page Plus chat support representative. While 3.5 Mbps is an improvement over the usual Page Plus 3G speeds of 0.6 - 2 Mbps, it's a far cry from the 10 - 100 Mbps LTE speeds typical with Verizon Prepaid.
PagePlus still isn't selling SIMs directly to customers, but a number of dealers are. Here's a list of dealers with SIMs in stock currently.
- Quality One Wireless has nano and mini/micro combo SIMs in stock for $4.99. Use code PAGEPLUS for free standard shipping. No services.
- Kitty Wireless has nano and mini/micro combo SIMs in stock for $25 with free shipping. Click here to order a SIM. LTE port-ins are free and come with a coupon good for 10% off the price of your second month of service. New LTE activations are also free. 3G to 4G ESN changes (upgrades) are $19.99.
- eBay seller simcards33 (888-582-3331, email: firstname.lastname@example.org) has mini/micro combo and nano SIMs for $4.99 with free shipping. New activations are free. simcards33 is not doing port-ins or 3G to LTE upgrades and recommends that customers contact Page Plus for those services.
- Freedom Wireless has both sizes of SIMs in stock at bcfw.me/pageplus4g. SIMs are $10 plus $5 for Priority Mail shipping. Shipping is free if you purchase a $55 or 69.95 plan at same time as a SIM. Use the code 3OFF during checkout to get 3% off your order. Freedom Wireless is doing activations, port ins and upgrades for free using their own online chat for customers who purchase SIMs and airtime from them.
- PagePlusDirect.com has both sizes of SIMs in stock for $5.79 with free standard shipping. Activations and port ins are free and upgrading a line from 3G to LTE (an ESN change) is $4.99.
- Cellaholic Corporation (no website) call 718-635-2020 or email email@example.com. SIMs are $5 with free shipping. Activation or 3G to LTE upgrade is $10 with SIM purchase, $15 without.
You will need the following:
- A clean-ESN postpaid Verizon LTE phone. Clean ESN means not reported lost or stolen or with money owed to Verizon for the phone or for service. As far as I know there are no restrictions on the types of postpaid Verizon phones allowed, even the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and the latest Android and Windows phones are OK.
- A Page Plus LTE SIM of the proper size for your phone.
- A 29.95 or higher Page Plus monthly plan PIN or a credit or debit card
- Your LTE phone's 15 digit IMEI.
- If you are upgrading from a 3G device you also need your phone number and the old phone's 14 character MEID, or if it's really old and doesn't have an MEID, its 8 character hex ESN or 11 digit dec ESN.
- If you are porting your number from another operator see Porting Your Number? How to Find Your Account Number and Password for the information you will need
- Your SIM card's 20 digit ID number (ICCID).
- Power off the phone (both phones if you are upgrading from a 3G to an LTE phone).
- Contact Page Plus or your dealer by phone or chat.
- Tell the agent whether you are doing a new activation, port or 3G to LTE update. Give them the information above when asked.
- When the agent tells you the activation is complete put the SIM in the LTE phone and turn it on. It should immediately contact to the network with all functions working.