AT&T site. They include a number of things that weren't mentioned AT&T's blog post announcing the changes.
- The high speed data allowance included with the $60/month plan was increased from 2.5 GB to 4 GB and unlimited calling to Mexico, including to mobile phones was added.
- The high speed data allowance included with the $45 plan was increased from 1 GB to 1.5 GB.
- The $55 US, Mexico & Canada plan adds unlimited calling to Mexico, including to mobile phones as well as unlimited texting while roaming in Mexico and Canada. There's also a new $25/month roaming data add-on that's only available with this plan and adds 1 GB of data roaming in Mexico and Canada
- There's a new $30/month plan with unlimited talk and text. Feature phones on this plan can use data at the absurdly expense rate of 1¢ per 5KB ($2/MB). A $5/month 100 MB data add-on that's available to both smartphone and non-smartphone users is a better deal.
- A new $1/day 100 MB Data Day Pass is now available to users on the $2 Day Plan
- The $25 250 minute, unlimited texts plan and the $40 500 minute, unlimited texts, 500 MB plan have been discontinued, current users on these plans are grandfathered.
- The $45 plan no longer includes unlimited 3G data for non-smartphone users. All users on that plan now get 1.5 GB/month of high speed data plus unlimited data throttled to 128 Kbps after the high speed allowance is used up.
I'm sure some will be upset about the discontinuation of the $25 plan which, when combined with the $5 for 50 MB data add-on was GoPhone's least expensive option for smartphone users who wanted a little data. But the new $30 plan with its $5 100 MB data add-on provides twice as much data plus unlimited voice for just $5 more seems like a better deal unless you only needed less than 250 minutes and 50 MB per month.
The new Data Day Pass for Daily plan users is interesting, especially if description on the AT&T site is accurate and using data doesn't trigger the $2 daily fee, which is only supposed to be charged if a call is made of received or a text. $1 per day for data only use is a pretty good deal for sort term international visitors or anyone who needs data only occasionally.
The table below lists all the current GoPhone plans.
|10¢/Minute Plan||$8.33 and up 1||10¢/min||20¢ domestic, 25¢ international or use package 2||Basic phones: 1¢ per 5KB ($2/MB)||Data not available for smartphones|
|$2/Day Plan||$2/day on days used, $8.33/month minimum 1, 3||unlimited||unlimited domestic and international||Basic phones: 1¢ per 5KB ($2/MB)||1¢ per 5 KB non-smartphones only. |
100 MB/$1 Day Data pass OK for all phones
|Monthly Plan||$30||unlimited||unlimited domestic and international||1¢ per 5KB ($2/MB) or |
100 MB for $5
|1¢ per 5 KB non-smartphones only. |
100 MB for $5 add-on OK for all phones
|Monthly Plan||$45 6||unlimited||unlimited domestic and international||unlimited 1.5 GB High Speed, Add 500MB for $10|
|US, Mexico & Canada Monthly Plan||$55 6||unlimited including to Mexico||unlimited domestic and international including while roaming in Canada and Mexico||unlimited 1 GB High Speed, Add 500MB for $10 4||Calls to Canada and calls made roaming within Canada and Mexico to the US and 25 other countries are 1¢/minute.|
|Monthly Plan||$60 6||unlimited including to Mexico||unlimited domestic and international||unlimited 4 GB High Speed, Add 1GB for $10|
2 Available Domestic Messaging packages: 200 messages $4.99/month, 1000 messages $9.99/month, Unlimited $19.99/month
3 $2/day is charged only on days the phone is used to make or receive a voice call (including a call to voice mailbox), send a text or use IM.
4 A $25/month international roaming data add-on is available with the $55 plan only. It adds 1 GB of data roaming in Mexico and Canada
5 $45, $55 and $60 plans include unlimited data throttled to 128 Kbps for the rest of the plan month after the high speed allowance is used up
6 $5/month credit available for using auto pay on $45 and higher plans.
Confirmed: AT&T GoPhone Increasing High Speed Data Allowances
Prepaid Operator Profile: AT&T GoPhone