Brightspot Mobile received a text from Brightspot today with more information about the previously announced shutdown of Brightspot.
"brightspot news: You may have heard things are changing at brightspot. We're partnering with T-Mobile to bring you plans that offer even more value, 4G, LTE data and a FREE month of service! Learn how to easily transition to a T-Mobile prepaid plan and find out about what else is going on at brightspot at link"
The linked page confirms that:
- Brightspot service will end on Jan 14, 2016.
- New activations on Brightspot will not be available after June 24, 2015.
- Brightspot airtime cards will be sold at Target stores until Oct. 18, 2015 and can be used until Dec 13, 2015.
- Customers can add money to their accounts on the Brightspot site until Dec 13, 2105 using a credit or debit card or checking account.
- The Brightspot rewards program that gives customers a $25 Target Gift card for every six months of service will end August 1. Customers who have completed 3 qualifying months service by August 1 or who port their number to T-Mobile between May 21 and July 31 and remain a T-Mobile customer through August 1, 2015 will receive a final $25 Gift Card.
- No refunds will be given for unused Brightspot service days or cash balances when service ends or customers migrate to T-Mobile. Brightspot recommends that customers use up their service before porting out.
888-984-7127 to request an unlock. Your Brightspot PIN is required. Most Brightspot phones will work on T-Mobile and T-Mobile MVNOs without unlocking but a few models won't. Brightspot recommends that every customer get their phone unlocked to be sure it will work with whatever carrier they decide to go with.
It's pretty obvious that T-Mobile wants Brightspot customers to migrate to T-Mobile as soon as they use up their Brightspot airtime rather than waiting until the bitter end in January. T-Mobile is offering the following incentives to encourage customers who switch:
- A free first month of service on any T-Mobile prepaid monthly plan.
- A free T-Mobile SIM which will be mailed to all Brightspot customers by June 26, 2015. Customers who don't receive a SIM by the 26th should request one here.
- A $5/month discount for the first 12 months on T-Mobile's $35 month unlimited talk and text, no data plan.
Here's a table comparing Brightspot's plans with the most comparable T-Mobile plans. There are many more T-Mobile prepaid plans that Brightspot customers can switch to and receive a free month of service. See T-Mobile and T-Mobile MVNO Prepaid Plans Compared for a complete list.
|$30||Unlimited Talk & Text, No Data||100 Minutes, Unlimited Texts, 5 GB Data|
|$35||300 Minutes, Unlimited Texts, 3 GB Data||($30 for the 1st 12 Months) Unlimited Talk & Text, No Data|
|$40||N/A||Unlimited Talk & Text, 1 GB Data|
|$45||Unlimited Talk & Text, 1 GB Data||N/A|
|$50||N/A||Unlimited Talk & Text, 3 GB Data|
|$55||Unlimited Talk & Text, 3 GB Data|
|$60||N/A||Unlimited Talk & Text, 5 GB Data|
Source: Brightspot via HowardForums
Related Post: Brightspot Mobile Notifies Customers of Dec 31 Shutdown