RingPlus, which has generated a lot of buzz by offering free ad supported cell phone service, is about to launch yet another free plan, its third in three weeks.
The new plan dubbed the Truly Free Cell Service Plan will be available starting Wednesday July 15, 3 PM PDT at ringplus.net. The plan's signature feature will be that, unlike RingPlus' other free plans, users do not need to provide a credit or debit card number when signing up. All that's required is an email address and Sprint compatible phone.
The Truly Free plan will come with 125 minutes, 40 texts and 10MB of data per month. Additional minutes, texts and MBs of data are 2¢ each. A credit or debit card or a bank account number for direct debit are required to be able to purchase additional service.
The Truly Free Plan joins RingPlus' two other current free plans. Here's how the three plans differ:
- The original Free Plan has 200 minutes, 50 text messages, and 10 MB of data. A credit or debit card is required, but auto-pay is not. This plan has been continuously available since June 13.
- The Pepper Plan has 250 minutes, 500 texts and 10 MB of data. A card and enrolling in auto-pay are both required. Pepper is available intermittently. It's been open to new activations for a few hours three times since June 30. It's currently closed to new users but will open for 24 hours starting at 3 PM 5/15/15
- The Truly Free Plan has 125 minutes, 40 texts and 10MB data per month. A credit or debit card is not required. As this plan has the least potential for monetization I expect it to open only briefly.
To use RingPlus you need a Sprint phone that's not currently in service with Sprint or a Sprint MVNO and has been fully paid for. Phones for Sprint's Boost Mobile , Virgin Mobile and Sprint Prepaid prepaid brands are supposed have been used for 12 months with the service they were sold for before being eligible for MVNO use. However, this requirement doesn't seem to be enforced consistently with several users reporting being to activate brand new phones from Sprint's prepaid brands on RingPlus. Actually, Sprint is super inconsistent about whether any given phone can be used on one of its MVNOs. I recommend never buying any prepaid or postpaid Sprint network phone for use on RingPlus without first entering its MEID serial number on RingPlus' Check Your Device page to verify eligibility.
Update 7/9: RingPlus has announced that on Wednesday July 15 the following plans will be available:
1) Free Plan with Credit Card 200Min 50 Text 10MB (ongoing, no closing time determined)Update 7/14: per RingPlus. the four promotional offers ( Truly Free Plan, Pepper Plan, 1 GB/month and free ports in/out with a $2 credit) listed above will be available starting at 3 PM 7/15/15.
2) Truly Free Plan (no Credit Card needed) 125 Min 40 Text 10 MB (ongoing, no closing time determined)
3) Pepper ($5 Top up required) 250 Min 500 Text 10MB (closes after 24hrs)
4) Add 1 GB per Month for $8 (closing after 24hrs)
5) Free Ports in or out with new port-ins getting a $2 account credit that never expires (closing after 24hrs)
The opening time on the 15th for all of the above plans and promos will be
3 PM PDT.
Source: RingPlus Discourse
RingPlus Annouces a Second Free Plan With More Minutes and Texts
RingPlus to Offer Content Sponsored Free Cellphone Service
Sprint Partially Fixes the BYOSP Mess It Created