Mobile Without Borders feature that gives all prepaid and postpaid Simple Choice Plan customers unlimited free calling and texting to Canada and Mexico plus unlimited roaming in the two countries starting July 15.
Now it looks like customers of T-Mobile owned MetroPCS may be getting a similar option. The rumored feature adds unlimited Mexican calling, texting and roaming to $40 and higher MetroPCS plans. The add-on has a nominal cost of $5/month but customers who add it between July 15 and August 31, 2015 get it for free until the end of the year.
Take this news with a grain of salt, as the source is a post in an unofficial T-Mobile Reddit message board. The post reads:
Starting on July 15th, MetroPCS customers on a $40 or higher base rate plan can add Metro’s new Mexico Unlimited service to their line for only $5 a month and get unlimited calling, texting and data to and from Mexico.
The Mexico Unlimited service includes:
While in the U.S.
· Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Minutes
· Unlimited Calls to Landlines in Mexico
· Unlimited Texting
While in Mexico
· Unlimited Talk Minutes to the U.S. and Mexico
· Unlimited Text Messages (Send/Receive)
· Unlimited Data (draws from the plan’s high speed data bucket with unlimited slow-speed once data cap reached)
Anyone (new and existing customers) that adds Mexico Unlimited service to their plan by August 31st will receive the service at no cost through the end of the year.
$5 Mexico Unlimited service & Special Offer
· Requires a $40 or higher base rate plan (includes the $50 Unlimited Promotional Plan).
· Not combinable with any other international calling service.
· Available to new and existing customers (promotional and standard service offers)
o $5 Mexico Unlimited: MEXUNL
o Promotional Mexico Unlimited: PMEXUNL
While the above looks like it could have come from an internal T-Mobile employee portal, I have no way of knowing if it's genuine or not. The redditor who posted it does not claim to be a T-Mobile employee. I'd treat this as an interesting but unconfirmed rumor.
Update: 7/15: MetroPCS has confirmed today that the rumor is true. Customers can add Mexico Unlimited which includes unlimited Mexican calling, texting and roaming to $40 and higher MetroPCS plans. Mexico Unlimited cost $5/month, but customers who add it between July 15 and August 31, 2015 get it for free until the end of the year.
Although it's not quite as good as T-Mobile's free Mexican and Canadian calling, texting and roaming offer, this new deal is a vast improvement over the old MetroPCS $10/month Mexico Calling add-on which it repaces. Mexico Calling provided unlimited calling to Mexican landlines and unlimited international texting from the US. But it's limited to just 1000 minutes/month to Mexican cell phones and roaming in Mexico is restricted to just minutes, 200 outgoing texts and 200 MB of data
Source Reddit via HowardForums
- T-Mobile Adds Free Canada and Mexico Calling and Roaming to Simple Choice Prepaid Plans
- MetroPCS World Calling Add-On Now Includes International Roaming and Calls To Mobile Phones
- Prepaid Operator Profile: MetroPCS