- AT&T added 410,000 postpaid, 333,000 prepaid and 1.45 million connected device subscribers, but lost 95,000 reseller customers for a total gain of 2.09 million subscribers vs gains of 1.22 million in Q1 2015 and 633,000 in Q2 2014.
- T-Mobile added 1 million postpaid, 178,000 prepaid, and 919,000 MVNO customers and lost 33,000 M2M customers for a total gain of 2.07 million customers. That compares with gains of 1.82 million in Q1 2015 and 1.47 million a year ago in Q2 2014.
- Verizon added 1.134 postpaid but lost 126,000 prepaid customers for a total gain of 1.01 million vs gains of 377,000 in Q1 2015 and 1.43 million in Q1 2014.
- Sprint added 310,000 postpaid and 731,000 wholesale customers but lost 366,000 prepaid users for a total gain of 675,000 customers vs gains of 1.2 million in Q1 2015 and a loss of 220,000 in Q2 2014.
- Verizon made a profit of $4.35 billion last quarter compared with $4.34 billion in Q1 2015 and $4.32 billion in Q2 2014.
- AT&T made $3.04 billion last quarter compared with $3.2 billion in Q1 2015 and $3.55 billion in Q2 2014.
- T-Mobile made $361 million last quarter compared with a loss of $63 million in Q1 2015 a profit of $237 million in Q2 2014.
- Sprint lost $20 million compared a loss of $224 million in Q1 2015 and a profit of $23 million in Q2 2014.
- Verizon 129 million*
- AT&T 123.9 million
- T-Mobile 58.91 million
- Sprint 56.81 million
The number of branded prepaid customers increased for the fourth quarter in a row, but just barely. The gains came from T-Mobile and AT&T as Verizon and Sprint lost prepaid customers. Sprint's loss is especially surprising as it came in spite of aggressive promotions offering free phones and half price plans to customers who switched to Sprint's Boost Mobile. Sprint's prepaid churn was up, suggesting it's having trouble keeping its prepaid customers happy. AT&T's prepaid gains likely came mostly from its heavily promoted and aggressively priced Cricket brand.
- AT&T added 333,000 prepaid subscribers
- T-Mobile added 178,000
- Verizon lost 126,000
- Sprint lost 366,000
Total prepaid customers by carrier as of the end of last quarter were:
- Tracfone 25.7 million
- T-Mobile 16.57 million
- Sprint 15.34 million
- AT&T 10.44 million
- Verizon 5.82 million
Sources: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, América Móvil
Second Quarter 2014 Mobile Subscriber Numbers By Operator
Third Quarter 2014 Mobile Subscriber Numbers By Operator
Fourth Quarter 2014 Prepaid Mobile Subscriber Numbers By Operator
First Quarter 2015 Prepaid Mobile Subscriber Numbers By Operator