If you are a customer of T-Mobile MVNOs PTel or it's sub-brand Giv Mobile you probably know that PTel and Giv are shutting down. PTel originally said service would end Jan 31 but they will be handling port-out requests through Feb 5. As of Feb 1, PTel service is still up and I suspect it will be up at least through the Feb 5. In any case it's time to port out if you want to keep your number
While having your mobile operator shut down is a pretty big hassle, the good news is that a number of prepaid operators are eager to pick up new business and are offering PTel customers free SIMs, account credits or a free month if they port in their number.
Here's a roundup of available deals:
Ting is offering all PTel and Giv customers a $75 call credit for switching to T-Mobile based Ting GSM service. To take advantage of the offer you do need to buy a $9 SIM and pay for shipping. The cheapest shipping option is $4 for 2 day Priority Mail. The $75 credit is applied when you activate your SIM at https://ptel.ting.com. Activation requires a credit or debit card which will only be billed if you use up your $75 credit.
Ting is a no-contract, no credit check postpaid operator. Users are billed at the end of the month for the minutes, messages and data they used the previous month. It's not a true pay as you go model, Ting bills in tiers of voice minutes, texts and megabytes of data. You can set usage and/or spending limits that cut off your data or messaging for the rest of the month when a limit is reached to control spending. Here are the available tiers.
|Text Messages (domestic and international)||$0||100||1000||2000||4800|
|Cost||$0||$3||$12||$19||$29||1.5¢ per MB|
Please see our Prepaid Operator Profile: Ting for more about Ting.
T-Mobile is offering PTel customers a free SIM and a free month of service of any T-Mobile Simply Prepaid Plan or the Unlimited Talk and Text Plan. The following plans are available:
- $25/month - Unlimited Talk and Text, no data
- $40/month - Unlimited Talk, Text and Data, first 3 GB high speed
- $50/month - Unlimited Talk, Text and Data, first 5 GB high speed
- $60/month - Unlimited Talk, Text and Data, first 10 GB high speed
The offer ends 2/12/16 and is only available at T-Mobile stores, not online and requires porting an active or suspended PTel number to T-Mobile. More details at T-Mobile.
See our Prepaid Operator Profile: T-Mobile for more about T-Mobile
Ultra Mobile and Simple Mobile - VidaExpress, a prepaid airtime vendor, is offering PTel monthly customers a free SIM, free shipping and a free month of service for porting to Ultra Mobile or Simple Mobile. A credit card is not required, but you are limited to a plan at the same price point as your current Ptel or Giv plan.
- Ptel or Giv $20 Plan customers get a free month on the Ultra Mobile $19 plan
- Ptel or Giv $25 and $29 Plan customers get a free month on the Ultra Mobile $29 plan
- Ptel or Giv $40, $50 or $60 Plan customers get a free month on the Ultra Mobile $39 plan or the Simple Mobile $40 plan.
- The Ultra $19 Plan includes 100 MB of data.
- The Ultra $29 Plan includes 1 GB of data.
- The Ultra $39 Plan includes unlimited data with the first 2 GB at high speed and the rest throttled to 128 Kbps
- The Simple Mobile $40 Plan includes unlimited data with the first 4 GB at high speed and the rest throttled to 64 Kbps
See our Prepaid Operator Profile: Ultra Mobile more about Ultra Mobile and our Prepaid Operator Profile: Simple Mobile for more about Simple Mobile
- Lycamobile's $19 Plan includes 100 MB of data
- Lycamobile's $23 Plan includes unlimited data with the first 100 MB at high speed and the rest throttled to 128 Kbps
- Lycamobile's $29 Plan includes unlimited data with the first 500 MB at high speed and the rest throttled to 128 Kbps. This plan also includes unlimited calls to over 50 countries and 150 to 1200 minutes 14 others.
- Lycamobile's $35 Plan includes unlimited data with the first 2 GB at high speed and the rest throttled to 128 Kbps.
- Lycamobile's $45 Plan includes unlimited data with the first 4 GB at high speed and the rest throttled to 128 Kbps.
- Lycamobile's $55 Plan includes unlimited data with the first 10 GB at high speed and the rest throttled to 128 Kbps
Ting GSM, Ultra Mobile, Simple Mobile and Lycamobile are all T-Mobile MVNOs like PTel so any phone that worked on PTel will also work with any of them.
Sprint MVNO RingPlus is also offering a deal for customers porting numbers from PTel. The deal is free porting and a $30 account credit. To qualify you must port a Ptel number to any RingPlus free or paid plan, including the two promotional 'free" plans that RingPlus is offering until Noon local time Sat. 1/30/16.
- Duke Free Plan: 750 minutes, 2000 texts and 1000 MB of data per month for free. An optional tethering add on available for $4 per month
- Shirly Strickland Free Plan: 500 minutes, 2000 texts and 500 MB of data per month for free. Tethering included.
With both free plans there's no monthly charge but a $20 (plus about 20% in taxes and fees) top up is charged at activation (it's added to plan balance) and whenever the account balance reaches zero. The balance can be used to pay for overages at 2¢ per minute, text or MB of data. MMS are 4¢. The $30 credit is applied several days after activation and can not be used to pay for the $20 top-up.
Obviously you need a Sprint compatible phone to take advantage of the RingPlus offer. Ports must be started by Noon local time Sat. 1/30/16 to qualify for the bonus. See our RingPlus Free Promotions Tracker: New Free Plans Now Open With 750 min, 2000 SMS and 1000 MB for more about RingPlus including details of current promotions.
To port out of PTel, initiate a port request with the operator you are moving to, not with PTel. You will be asked for your account number and PIN. Your PTel account number is your 10 digit phone number, and your PTel PIN is 0000.
If you are aware of any other operators offering PTel customers incentives to switch please post a link to them in the comments so I can add them to this post.
Updated 1/3 added T-Mobile deal.