When Boost announced its new Unlimited Unhook'd and Unlimited Starter plans last Thursday, it didn't say anything about those plans replacing all of Boost's current plans. But according to a response by the official Boost Mobile Facebook account to a question posted in the Boost mobile Facebook page, it looks like that's what's going to happen.
David: Hey Boost. Is the growing data and $60 unlimited still going to be offered right along with the new plans?
Boost Mobile: Hello David. Thanks for contacting us. Those plans ($35 & $45 growing data, and $60 unl) will be grandfathered on 9/30/2016. If you have the plans and would like to keep them, you can do so as long as you don't switch from them after that date. -Edmund M.
Also on it's Facebook page, Boost Mobile revealed that its $5 discount for using auto pay does apply to the Unlimited Unhook'd and Unlimited Starter plans.
- $35 ($30 with auto pay) Unlimited With Growing Data - unlimited talk, messaging and data with the first 2 GB at high speeds.
- $45 ($40 with auto pay) Unlimited With Growing Data - unlimited talk, messaging and data with the first 5 GB at high speeds.
- $60 ($55 with auto pay) Unlimited - unlimited talk, messaging and unthrottled data. Hotspot is throttled to 128 Kbps after 8 GB is used.
The current "Build Your Own" Family Plans are also going away. These plans let customers combine up to five lines of any combination the $35, $45 or $60 plans and get a discount. Two lines get $5/month off, 3 lines get $15/month off, 4 lines get $40/month off and 5 lines get $75/month off. The last day to start a new Build Your Own plan is Sept
- $30 ($25 with auto pay) Unlimited Starter - unlimited talk, messaging and data with the first 1 GB at high speeds. Up to 15 GB of additional high speed data can be added to the Starter plan for $5 per 1 GB.
- $50 ($45 with autopay) Unlimited Unhook'd - unlimited talk, messaging and data. Video streaming is degraded to 480p resolution, audio streaming is restricted to 500 Kbps and online gaming data is throttled to 2 Mbps. Hotspot is throttled to 128 Kbps after 8 GB is used
The changes are a mixed bag. Plans now start at $30 instead of $35. Unlimited everything for $50 is better than any other carrier offers, even if video and audio streaming and gaming are throttled. But Growing Data and a plan with truly unlimited and unthrottled data won't be available to new users after Sept
Updated 9/16: Build Your Own Family plans not available after 9/28.
Updated 9/26: According to The Playbook, Boost's internal dealer newsletter, the last day to activate the $35 and $45 Growing Data plans and the $60 Unlimited plan is Sept 28, rather than Sept 30 as announced earlier.