RingPlus runs frequent promotions that let you sign for free cell phone plans that include very generous allotments of minutes, texts and data.
There are so many of these promos with different eligibility requirements and availability windows that it's hard to figure out what's available when and to whom.
To try and make it a little easier to keep track of RingPlus promotions, this post is intended to be a cheat sheet of current and upcoming RingPlus offers. It will be updated frequently and will always be on the PrepaidPhoneNews desktop site's front page in the "Current Refill and Plan Deals" section.
Current & Upcoming RingPlus Free PlansLast Updated 9:20 PM PDT 11/30
Name: Mad Avatar Free PlanWhen: From 11 PM Tue. Nov 29 until further notice.
Where: ringplus.net/#plans for new activations, my.ringplus.net for upgrades
For: For new activations and upgrades
For New Activations: 275 cellular and 500 VoIP minutes, 275 SMS, 275 MMS and 500 MB of full speed LTE data. Tethering included.
For Upgrades: 275 cellular and 500 VoIP minutes, 275 SMS, 275 MMS and 750 MB of full speed LTE data. Tethering included.
Overage rate is 10¢ per minute, SMS, MMS or MB. Overages are deducted from the plan balance.
Pricing: There's a $5 activation fee (plus about 20% in taxes and fees, charged to users credit card) plus a $15 top up at activation (added to plan balance) and whenever the account balance is less than $5. The activation fee is waived for upgrades.
When new RingPlus dialer apps become available, which is supposed to happen in December, users will require to use one of the dialers. There will be two dialers available:
- A "Smart Dialer" Android app that routes calls directly over the Sprint network.
- A VoIP Dialer for Android and iOS that will make all calls using VoIP on WiFi or cellular data.
Both dialers will support all RingPlus in-call applications, presumably including the Ring Back Radio ad serving platform.
This plan doesn't include voicemail (available for $1.50/month extra) or call waiting/3-way calling ($2/month extra).
For more information see this RingPlus Forum post.
"Rules of the road" for all RingPlus Free plans:
- Must make an outgoing call at least once every 60 days. This is critical, RingPlus is enforcing this rule.
- Only one free plan per physical user, multiple free lines on the same account are OK as long as used by different people.
Switching plans:If you are a current RingPlus user here's how to switch plans.
- Log in to your RingPlus Dashboard.
- Click the box in the top right that lists the phone and phone number you want to switch plans on.
- Click Upgrade Plan (under Account Settings)
- Click Select this Plan for the plan you want to switch to.
- If you are upgrading from one free plan to another free plan you must choose the upgrade at "Next Billing Cycle" option, immediate changes between free plans are not permitted.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Change My Plan.
- If you are doing the upgrade in a phone browser there's a dialog box asking you to confirm the upgrade that pops up off screen. You must scroll around to find and click on the dialog or the upgrade will not happen. This is not an issue if you use a PC.
- The most confusing thing for me is that if you are upgrading to take effect at the next billing cycle, there's no confirmation that the upgrade succeed. After confirming the upgrade you are taken back to a screen showing your old pre-upgrade plan with no indication that you have a pending upgrade scheduled. To confirm the upgrade you have to go back to your main Dashboard page where you should see a message like "You changed SAMSUNG DEVICE's plan to VIP Pepper, which will be become active on September 3, 2015".
Member+:Member+ is a subscription "club" that costs $18.99/month for 6 months ($159.92 total) for a "Lifetime" membership or $99.99/year, $59.99/6 months or $39.99/3 months. Member+ membership has the following benefits:
- 3% top-up bonus
- Priority customer support.
- RingPlus Store discounts.
- Exclusive Member+ only promotional plans and data add-ons.
- Member+ subscribers will have two extra days to sign up for some promotional planss
- Free ESNs (device) swaps
Supported Phones:RingPlus can activate most inactive Sprint postpaid phones as well as the unlocked iPhone 6s, 6s+, 6, 6+, or Nexus 5, 5X, 6 or 6P from T-Mobile, Verizon, or ATT; and the Verizon iPhone 5s or 5c. Enter the phone's MEID (on a label on the outside of the phone packaging) on the RingPlus Device Check Page to see if your phone can be activated on RingPlus.
Effective April 17, 2016, Sprint will no longer allow new never activated Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile and Sprint Prepaid phones to be activated on MVNOs. Phones from these prepaid brands must be used for 12 months on the service they were sold for before they can be activated on Sprint MVNOs, including RingPlus.
Phones are available from the Ring Plus Store and through RingPlus Classifieds.
Tethering (on plans that include it) generally only works "out of the box" with postpaid Sprint phones that have a Hotspot menu item.
RingPlus Tips:Phone activation:
If your phone is brand new, turn it on and off and allow the Hands Free Activation process to complete.
If your phone is used, perform a network reset to wipe out the previous network settings and prepare the phone for activation. To perform a network reset:
- iPhone and iPad: Open the dialer and dial ##UPDATE## (##873283#) and tap Call.
- Most Android phones and feature phones: Open the dialer and dial ##SCRTN# (##72786#) - if prompted for your passcode enter your phone's six digit MSL which can be found in the Your Device section of your my.ringplus.net account page. After performing a network reset the phone will restart and run Hands Free Activation to complete the activation process
- Google Nexus Phones: Open the dialer and dial *#*#72786#*#* - if prompted for your passcode enter your phone's six digit MSL which can be found in the Your Device section of your my.ringplus.net account page. After performing a network reset the phone will restart and run Hands Free Activation to complete the activation process
- Virgin Mobile Android and feature phones: If ##72786# doesn't work to bring up the network reset prompt, dial ##VIRGIN# (##873283#) and choose Edit. If prompted for your passcode enter your phone's six digit MSL which can be found in the Your Device section of your my.ringplus.net account page. Then change the MDN to 0000001234 and the MSID to 0000005678. The restart the phone and Handsfree activation should run. If it doesn't click or tap the Activate Phone option on the home screen.
RingPlus Resources:RingPlus Social Forum
RingPlus on Facebook
RingPlus on Twitter