Ultra Mobile has unveiled a new sub-brand called Mint SIM. Its main feature seems to be the ability to get discounts by paying for three, six or twelve months in advance. Mint SIM has three plans, all of which include unlimited voice minutes and unlimited SMS and MMS messaging. Data is also unlimited with the first 2, 5 or 10 GBs per month at full LTE speeds and the rest throttled to 2G speeds (probably 128 Kbps). Prices are as follows:
- 2 GB high speed data: $35/month, $80/3 months ($26/month), $150/6 months ($25/month), $250/12 months ($21/month)
- 5 GB high speed data: $50/month, $120/3 months ($40/month), $200/6 months ($33/month), $365/12 months ($31/month)
- 10 GB high speed data: $60/month, $150/3 months ($50/month), $275/6 months ($46/month), $500/12 months ($42/month)
Update 9/9/2016: Mint finally got back to me with add -on data pricing. It's $10 for 1 GB or $20 for 3 GB.
Unlike Ultra Mobile, which is targeted at users who make international calls with plans that include unlimited calling to some countries, international calls are pay per minute on Mint SIM plans. Rates are pretty good however, sample rates per minute for calling mobile numbers include: Canada 1¢, China 1¢, Mexico 2.5¢, Phillipines 9¢, United Kingdom 1.5¢. The Mint SIM site doesn't mention international SMS pricing, I've asked Mint SIM if there's an extra charge for sending international texts and will update this post when I find out. Update 9/9/2016: unlimited international texting is included with all Mint SIM plans at no extra cost.
Mint SIM uses the T-Mobile native network. Roaming is not available. Mint SIMs Terms and Conditions prohibit tethering or using your phone as a hotspot.
Mint SIM's are free with plan purchase but there's a $3.44 shipping charge. Mint SIM adds a 1% to 3% Regulatory Recovery Fee to plan prices. California residents are also subject to California's MTS tax which ranges from 9.26% to 23.06% depending on the customers county and city.
If multi-month plans from Ultra Mobile sounds familiar, it should. Ultra has been running a promotion for several months that gives new customers a discount if they pay for several months in advance. There's only one multi-month plan offered under the Ultra Mobile brand. It's Ultra's regular $29/month plan which includes 1 GB of 4G LTE data, unlimited calls to the US and 60 international destinations, unlimited international SMS, 1,000 minutes to 10 additional international destinations and a $2.50 international call credit. Pricing for the Ultra Mobile multi-month plan is as follows:
Update 23-Nov-2016: Mnt SIM has lowered its prices. Current pricing is:
- 2 GB high speed data: $35/month, $69/3 months ($23/month), $119/6 months ($19.83/month), $199/12 months ($16.58/month)
- 5 GB high speed data: $50/month, $99/3 months ($33/month), $169/6 months ($28.17/month), $299/12 months ($24.92/month)
- 10 GB high speed data: $60/month, $119/3 months ($39.67/month), $209/6 months ($34.83/month), $399/12 months ($33.25/month)