- T-Mobile added 1.2 million postpaid, 541,000 prepaid, and 363,000 wholesale customers for a total gain of 2.1 million customers. That compares with gains of 1.97 million in Q3 2016 and 2.1 million a year ago in Q3 2015.
- AT&T added 520,000 postpaid, 406,000 prepaid, and 1.27 million connected device subscribers, but lost 672,000 reseller customers for a total gain of 1.52 million subscribers vs gains of 1.53 million in Q3 2016 and 2.23 million in Q4 2015. AT&T blamed its loss of reseller customers on the shutdown of its 2G network.
- Verizon added 591,000 postpaid connections but lost 9,000 prepaid customers for a total gain of 582,000 vs gains of 525,000 in Q3 2016 and 1.36 million in Q4 2015.
- Sprint reported adding 405,000 postpaid and 673,000 wholesale customers but lost 501,000* prepaid users for a total gain of 577,000 customers vs gains of 740,000 in Q3 2016 and 491,000 million in Q4 2015.
Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile were profitable last quarter. Sprint posted its ninth quarterly loss in a row.
- Verizon made a profit of $4.6 billion last quarter compared with $3.74 billion in Q3 2016 and 5.51 billion a year ago in Q4 2015.
- AT&T made $2.44 billion last quarter compared with $3.23 billion in Q3 2016 and $4.01 billion in Q4 2015.
- T-Mobile made $390 million last quarter compared with $368 million in Q3 2016 and $297 million in Q3 2015.
- Sprint lost $479 million compared with losses of $142 million in Q3 2016 and $836 million in Q4 2015.
- Verizon 143 million*
- AT&T 134.9 million
- T-Mobile 71.5 million
- Sprint 59.5 million
América Móvil's Tracfone subsidiary lost 417,000 subscribers last quarter. That compares with an acquisition driven gain of 1.2 million in Q3, 2016 and a loss of 58,000 in Q4, 2015. TracFone's gain in the Q3, 2016 quarter was entirely due to its purchase of Walmart Family Mobile and GoSmart which brought approximately 1.7 million customers to TracFone. TracFone's revenue was up 20.4% quarter over quarter and 7.9% year over year. TracFone operates the Straight Talk, NET10, Tracfone, Simple Mobile, Page Plus, Total Wireless, Telcel America, Walmart Family Mobile, GoSmart and SafeLink Wireless MVNO brands in the US.
Postpaid phone customers are generally much more profitable than tablet, connected device, prepaid and wholesale customers. Industry watchers put a lot of emphasis on postpaid phone customer gains and loses. T-Mobile once again lead the pack and added the most postpaid phone additions for the 12th consecutive quarter in a row. Only AT&T lost postpaid phone subscribers this last quarter.
- T-Mobile added 993,000 postpaid phone customers
- Sprint added 368,000
- Verizon added 167,000
- AT&T lost 67,000
- T-Mobile added 541,000 prepaid subscribers
- AT&T added 406,000
- Verizon lost 9,000
- TracFone lost 417,000
- Sprint lost 501,000
- Tracfone 26.1 million
- T-Mobile 19.8 million
- AT&T 13.54 million
- Sprint 11.81 million
- Verizon 5.45 million
Sources: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, América Móvil
First Quarter 2015 Prepaid Mobile Subscriber Numbers By Operator
Second Quarter 2015 Prepaid Mobile Subscriber Numbers By Operator
Third Quarter 2015 Prepaid Mobile Subscriber Numbers By Operator
Fourth Quarter 2015 Prepaid Mobile Subscriber Numbers By Operator
First Quarter 2016 Prepaid Mobile Subscriber Numbers By Operator
Second Quarter 2016 Prepaid Mobile Subscriber Numbers By Operator
Third Quarter 2016 Prepaid Mobile Subscriber Numbers By Operator