After running the teaser banner above on the MetroPCS home page for the last three weeks, the carrier has finally announced today that Samsung Galaxy S III will be available in select stores this weekend, and in all MetroPCS stores and online at www.metropcs.com beginning Monday, October 22.
The S III is Samsung's current flagship model and arguably the most powerful Android phone to date. It's also the subject of a massive "The Next Big Thing Is Here" TV marketing campaign which mocks the new iPhone as an inferior device. MetroPCS arch-rival Cricket is selling the iPhone 5 and the S III is apparently Metro's answer.
It's amazing how far prepaid has come. A year ago it would have been unthinkable for the flagship models from the the two largest smartphone manufacturers to be available on prepaid soon after their postpaid release. Metro isn't even the first prepaid carrier to carry the S III. That honor goes to Sprint MVNO Ting which has been selling the SIII for several weeks at $529.
Here are updated specifications for Metro's Samsung Galaxy S III.
- Dimensions: 5.38 x 2.78 x 0.34 inches (136.6 × 70.7 × 8.6 mm)
- Weight: 4.7 Ounces (133 g)
- Battery: 2100mAh, Standby: 3G: Up to 12.5 Days; 4G: Up to 8.3 Days, Talk Time Up to 9 hours
- Network: CDMA/1xRTT, EVDO, LTE
- OS: Android™4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich
- Processor: dual core 1.5GHz Qualcomm MSM8960
- Screen: 1280 x 720 Pixel, 4.8", HD Super AMOLED™
- Camera: 8.0 Megapixel, Auto Focus, Image Stabilization, 1080p HD Video at 30 fps
- Front-facing Camera: 1.9 Megapixel, 720p HD video at 30 fps
- Music Player: Supports; 3GP, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, M4A, MIDI, MMF, MP3, PMD, QCP, WAV, WMA;
- Video Player: Supports; 3GPP, H.264, MPEG4, WMV
- Software features: Microsoft® Office-compatible for Corporate Email
- Wi-Fi®AllShare® Play streams videos, photos and music to various connected devices including TVs and speakers, remotely accesses files and shares group presentations and photos
- S Beam shares content and information – pictures, maps, contacts, calendars, etc. – by simply touching two Galaxy S III phones together
- Bluetooth: 4.0, Supported Profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HID, HFP, PBAP, HSP, OPP, SPP;
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct
- Connectivity: micro USB with USB On-The-Go, 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack, Near Field Communication (NFC) with support for Google Wallet.
- Internal Memory RAM (2GB), ROM (16GB)
- External Memory: Up to 64GB microSD
According to MetroPCS the Galaxy S III can be used on any of carriers' 4G LTE plans, including the limited-time promotional plans of unlimited talk, text and 250 MB of 4G LTE data for $30 or unlimited talk, text and 4G LTE data for $55 per month.