FreedomPop announced its new prepaid family plan. The Sprint MVNO claims that this is the first ever prepaid family plan and free family wireless bundle. According to their announcement, families that choose to sign up for the new plan can enjoy unlimited voice calls, texts, and up to 1GB of shared data for $5 per month per line.
There is an option to add as much as 10 lines per family plan with a fee of $5 per line. Families who require larger data plans may purchase more as they need starting at $15/month. As a bonus, each family member added onto the family plan gets an extra 50MB of data.
How to Sign Up to FreedomPop Family Plan
If you are interested to sign up to the new family plan offered by FreedomPop, you simply need to do the following:
- Visit the website. Enter your email address and ZIP code on where it requires you to. This should be the information that you want your account to be attached to.
- Choose your device. FreedomPop has over 200 models of refurbished and used certified phones that you wish to use with your plan. You can choose 2-10 phones, depending on how big you want your plan to be.
- Choose your plan. Once you sign up, you are given a list of three different plans that you can choose from. Additional options will be given to you once your account has been added. Click on the Plans tab from your account so you can see a list of the available plans.
- Proceed to checkout. This will lead you to a screen showing your shopping cart summary and payment options. You have an option to pay using your Credit Card or PayPal account. As soon as you have filled out your information and made your payment, you just need to click on Activate so your order will start processing.
- Choose your area code. At this point, you will be able to choose your preferred area code when you are directed to the Phone Number Selection Page.
Once you have successfully signed up for the plan, you will see a "Congratulations" message on your screen.
FreedomPop Available Family Plan Options:
- 1GB Shared - Free
- 2GB Shared - $14.99/month
- 4GB Shared - $34.99/month
- 10GB Shared - $74.99/month
- 25GB Shared - $159.99/month
Each line under the Family Plan comes with premium voice, group messaging, multimedia messaging, and visual voicemail services all added for free.
Update 3/23 by Dennis: I found some more information about the plan on the new Family Plans on Slickdeals and a FreedomPop support page. Key points:
- Currently the Family Plan is only available for new activations and requires the purchase of a phone for each Family Plan line. There's no BYOP and no way to create a Family Plan from existing FreedomPop accounts.
- Available phones are the $49.99 Huawei Union, $79.99 LG Tribute 2, $159.00 Samsung Galaxy S5 and the $249.00 LG G4. Shipping is $9.99 (per order, not per phone).
- Service is on the Sprint network. The coverage map on the FreedomPop Family Plan sign up page shows AT&T coverage. Sprint's coverage area (map) is much smaller.
- There's a $5 per line monthly access fee on all plans. There's no free option. The minimum start up cost is about $120 for two phones, shipping and the first month's access fees. The recurring cost for two lines is $10 per month.
Is the FreedomPop Family Plan, a good deal? Maybe, the plan's value is in the many extra cost services that it includes which are extra cost on FreedomPop free plans. The Family Plan comes with unlimited voice and messaging which is $10.99 extra on free plans plus Premium Voice (normally $3.99) , MMS ($1.99) and voicemail ($2.49). All of these added services require using FreedomPop's app.