launched a $29.99 Tablet plan that includes unlimited data. Like other AT&T unlimited data plans this one is subject to data de-prioritization after 22 GB if the network is congested. But at least one user reports that their data speeds are as good as even even after 22 GB.
There are two versions of the plan, a Pay As You Go one that you have to manually repurchase every month online and one that auto renews. Yesterday, a Howard Forums user got the notification message pictured above while signing up for plan. According to the notification. the price of the non-auto renew version of the plan will increase to $35/month on October 2. The auto renew plan will remain at $29.99.
Thirty Bucks a month for unlimited data on AT&T is a great deal. However, there are some limitations you need to be aware of.
- This is a data-only plan; voice calls, SMS and MMS will not work. You can use an app like Hangouts to make calls and send messages using data.
- The plan is only supposed to be used with tablets. You will need the IMEI of an cellular capable iPad or Android tablet to sign up. Once the SIM is active it reportedly works in phones and hotspots provided you change the APN to broadband. AT&T could obviously block usage in non-tablets if they wanted to, but so far that hasn't happened.
- Using you tablet as a hotspot is not allowed and is blocked on iPads and AT&T tablets. Users have been able to get hotspot working using various methods (1), (2), (3) on some devices. So far AT&T hasn't taken any action against unauthorized hotspot use, but obviously they could.
If you are interested in getting the AT&T Unlimited Data Tablet plan. Here's how to sign up:
- If you have an iPad go to http://www.att.com/ipadlanding using Safari.
- If you aren't using an iPad, go to https://buyasession.att.com.
Source and image: HowardForums